Hakodate was ranked as the most attractive tourist destination several times (in 2014, 2015 and 2018) in the surveys by private think tanks—see the pages in Travel Voice, Japan Times and Inside Japan, so we recommend planning your travel well ahead. Video clips for general information about Hakodate can be found here and here.
Directions to the university (FUH’s website; see below for more details)
To Hakodate airport:
- Directs flights to Hakodate airport are available from Taipei, Taiwan and Tianjin, China (see here).
- 10 flights are available daily between Tokyo Haneda airport and Hakodate airport by JAL, ANA and AirDO (app. 1 h 20 min).
- 3 flights are available daily between Osaka International (Itami) airport and Hakodate airport by JAL and ANA (app. 1 h 40 min).
- 2 flights are available daily between Chubu Centrair airport, Nagoya and Hakodate airport by ANA and AirDO (app. 1 h 30 min).
- 2 flights are available daily between Sapporo New Chitose airport and Hakodate airport by ANA (app. 40 min).
- 1 flight is available daily between Narita International airport and Hakodate airport by Vanilla Air (app. 1 h 40 min).
- Notes: we would NOT recommend arriving at Sapporo New Chitose airport and taking a train to Hakodate. It takes about 5 hrs from Sapporo to Hakodate by train.
From Hakodate airport to city center:
- Frequent shuttle bus services are available between Hakodate airport and Hakodate station (app. 20 min, 450JPY; see here).
- 4 shuttle buses are available daily between Hakodate airport and Goryokaku area (app. 28 min, 400JPY; see here and here)
- Regular bus services are also available between Hakodate airport and Hakodate station (No. 96, app. 33 min, 290JPY) / Goryokaku area (No. 100, app. 23 min, 260JPY; Tobikko circular bus, app. 32 min, 290JPY).
- A taxi ride between Hakodate airport and Hakodate station area / Goryokaku area costs around 2,500JPY to 3,000JPY.
From city center to the university:
- Regular bus services are available between Hakodate station and the university via Goryokaku area (no. 100, 55 and 55-1). It takes about 45 min from Hakodate station and about 25 min from Goryokaku area.
- The bus services are relatively frequent on weekdays (14–15 per day), but less frequent on weekends (11–12 per day).
The conference venue is easily accessible by bus either from Hakodate station area (app. 45 min) or from Goryokaku area (app. 25 min).
Hakodate Station Area
- Hotel Mystays Hakodate Goryokaku [map]
- Hotel Hokke Club Hakodate [map]
- Dormy Inn Express Hakodate Goryokaku [map]